Yoga Slackers: Sam Salwei and Raquel Cruz Hernandez
Photographer: Eric Ward
Many of us choose yoga as a form of exercise, not only because it’s low-impact and improves our overall health, but because we value a natural lifestyle. Thanks to athletic clothing produced with man-made materials like polyester and nylon though, microfibers have been leeching into our oceans. Yes you read that correctly.
Scientists studying our lakes and oceans, have discovered that man-made, plastic-based fibers in clothing are showing up at an alarming rate in our precious ecosystem. Whereas natural fibers, like organic cotton, are better at breaking down in the environment, without leaving harmful microscopic microfibers behind.
After extensive research and speaking to some Yoga professionals (thanks truecoretx.com and yogatrade.com), I found some retailers who value eco-friendly, sustainable, comfortable, and fashionable athletic wear for yoga and beyond.
Solid Sustainable Brands To Know
– Anjali is a NYC based fashion retailer which broke out in 2006. Focusing on yoga wear, this company founded by married couple Julissa Carranza and Kristinn Sigridarson, creates stylish fair-trade, sustainable clothing made from organic cotton, soy, modal, and recycled polyester. The tout their clothing is sweat shop labor free, as the pieces are produced in NYC and LA. Both women and men can enjoy selecting comfortable garments from Anjali, when they plan on getting into their next downward dog or tree pose.
– Earth Yoga is based in Malibu, California, and is another brand to check out. The founder has been practicing yoga for over ten years, so it is only fair to support a devoted yogi. Founder Noreen Austin offers reasonably priced yoga clothing, created from environmentally responsible polyester fibers from recycled bottles. You can choose from tops, bottoms, and comfortable hoodies.
– Green Apple, based in Manhattan Beach, California, stands out as a sustainable choice. All of the clothing made by Green Apple is vegan and biodegradable. You can find tops, jackets, and bottoms made with chemical-free bamboo and organic cotton. The founder of Green Apple has a background of over two decades in the athletic apparel business.
– Since 1992, retailer prAna made a commitment to produce clothes for yoga that are biodegradable, maintain a sustainable business model, and reduce their greenhouse emissions. This company not only offers yoga clothing, but accessories, jackets, dresses, and swimwear. Clothing from prAna is made from organic cotton, hemp, and Jacquard among other fabrics.
– Inner Wave produces mainly organic and biodegradable yoga clothing. All their clothes are produced in LA, California, and the company believes that your inside should match your outside. Women and men can find tops, bottoms, and even jewelry. Sustainable and eco-friendly choices never felt this good.
Reflect Your Values Effortless
Sustainability is a major part of finding our balance and lessening our carbon footprint. We not only want to choose to sustain our bodies with exercise and diet, but we also want to choose sustainable actions that reflect our best selves.
When we support retailers that make clothing that reflect our care for our health and our planet, we send a resounding message to the world.
Thanks to the efforts of some awesome yoga practitioners, finding eco-friendly clothing that matches your values and meets your budget is easier than ever before. As yoga lovers and health-conscious individuals are becoming more mindful about their lifestyle choices, retailers are listening and acting in kind.
“We live in an age where we can not only bring meaningful change to our lives, but by our choices, we can make a meaningful impact on our world.”
A healthy lifestyle is not just about exercise and a healthy diet, but making conscious choices that make a better you inside and out. Choosing to wear eco-friendly clothing is a great way to make an impact on the planet and your workout.